From the recent meeting of the Nordic Council of Ministers, more positive signs of a revitalised energy cooperation emerged. According to the adopted ministerial declaration, the energy cooperation will receive a larger share of the Nordic Council of Ministers’
budget in the coming years. This is due to the energy sector’s important contribution to
the green transition, not only in the light of the current Covid crisis.
Nordenergi strongly shares the ministers’ view that Nordic cooperation on the electricity
system, grid infrastructure and electricity market is pivotal. Especially we emphasize the
the importance of I
- integrating more renewable energy, also in sectors such as transport and industry.
- Emphasizing a transparent, regional approach to grid infrastructure planning,
taking Nordic welfare into account.
- Supporting the development and implementation of common Nordic electricity
market solutions to strengthen the Nordic region’s position as one of the most
advanced regional markets in the world.
– From Nordenergi’s side, we welcome that the Nordic energy ministers share our view that sustainable growth through fossil-free energy production is key in the recovery from the current crisis, says Pernilla Winnhed, current chair of Nordenergi.
– Infrastructure planning will be paramount for the vast electrification that will be necessary to achieve ambitious Nordic climate goals, she continues. And with a larger budget share, the important work on the Nordic Electricity Market Forum can be duly prioritised.
Nordenergi is the collaboration between the Nordic electricity industry associations. The members of Nordenergi are the Norwegian Electricity Industry Association, the Finnish Energy Industries, the Danish Energy Association, Swedenergy and the Federation of Icelandic Energy and Waterworks.